Fort Cornwallis is situated at the spot where Captain Francis Light
was supposed to have landed in 1786. Originally a wooden structure,
the fort was rebuilt between 1808 and 1810 with convict labour. It
was named after Charles Marquis Cornwallis, a distinguished Governor
General of India, and designed to protect the harbour from possible
Today, much of the old fort remains, but its precincts have been
converted into a public park and an open air theater. It is still
guarded by old cannons, which were retrieved by the British from
pirates who had captured them from the Johore Sultanate.
The most famous of the cannons is Seri Rambai, which dates back
to 1613. Local beliefs have it that childless women can become fertile
by placing flowers in the barrel of the cannon and offering special
RM1.00 per person
Address: Padang Kota Lama, 10200 Penang, Malaysia.