The City Hall (Dewan Bandaraya) building opened in 1903 and, together with the adjacent Town Hall, constitutes a handsome pair of colonial architectural relics framing the edge of the historic Padang Kota Lama (green field). Visually feasting over its pretty Victorian facades leaves one with the feeling that perhaps it deserves better than serving as the periodic meeting place of the Council Chamber of the Penang Municipal. Nevertheless at least it is being preserved.
Address: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, 10200 Georgetown, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Next to Fort Cornwallis is the Esplanade, a popular waterfront promenade which stretches from the hawker stalls at one end to the clock tower at the other. Central in the Esplanade is the Padang, a huge square of town green. Standing proudly beside is the City Hall, a stately colonial building which is a fine example of British palladian architecture featuring magnificent Corinthian columns and huge windows. It was once the seat of local government.