Johor Lama (Old Johor)
Johor Lama, situated 27km from Kota Tinggi and about 2 hours drive from Johor Bahru, is a quiet village no the banks of the Johor River. Johor Lama was the royal seat of the Johor Sultanate until 1587. All that is left here are fragments of a fort built in 1540 during the raid on Johor Lama by the Portuguese. After the battle, the state capital moved to Johor Bahru.
The fort, in the end, was destroyed by the Portuguese army despite it being defended by 8,000 Sultanate's warriors with only 500 men in 1587.